Published in U17 Boys




2018-19 FIXTURES


ISFA South U17 v Essex School
Sunday 4th November, 2pm at Brentwood School

Final National Trial
Sunday 25th November, 2pm at Shrewsbury School

ISFA U17 v Sheffield United
Sunday 10th February, ko tbc at Sheffield United

ISFA U17 v Loughborough University
Sunday 24th March, ko tbc at Loughborough University

ISFA U17 National Camp
April tbc at Nottingham University


2017-18 RESULTS

Sunday 6th May
(Falkirk FC)

ISFA started the brightest and dominated possession from start to finish. Scotland defended extremely well though and limited the amount of clear cut chances. The Scotland goalkeeper and Man of the Match was forced into action numerous times in the first half but ISFA were unable to make the breakthrough.
Scotland became more of a threat in the second half particularly when counter attacking through their impressive number 7. A rare shot from distance forced the ISFA keeper Dan Mammas (Royal Russell) into a save and the rebound found the net. Fortunately, the goal was disallowed for a clear off side.  ISFA pressed on and, as the Scottish keeper pulled off more saves and Nas Kabbani (Manchester Grammar) saw his header come off the woodwork, it looked like it was not going to be their day. However, ten minutes from time though, persistence paid off and, after an excellent move that involved many passes, Ben Thompson (Forest) eventually drove inside from wide left to square the ball to George Maxwell (Hampton) who scored the winner.

ISFA lifted the trophy to bring an excellent representative season to a close.

Photographs of the match are courtesy of RWT Photography. These and other photographs and the post-match presentations can be ordered from or by ringing 01733 204445. 

Tuesday 10th April
(Nottingham University)

A quick start from Notts County saw them take the lead after 30 seconds with a frightening break away. ISFA soon settled into the game and started to control possession but couldn’t break down the resolute County defence. The score remained 1-0 at half time. ISFA flew out of the blocks in the 2nd half and the speed of Alex Taylor on the right hand side led to the equaliser, which was neatly tucked away by Pieter Stein. ISFA now had the impetus and soon took the lead through a well taken volley from Matt Coleman. Pieter Stein added a third with an expertly taken finish from 40 yards following a mix up between the opposition keeper and centre back. The final goal came courtesy of Joel Valentin who started off an excellent team move which saw George Maxwell, Alex Taylor and Lewis McGillicuddy all combine for Joel to finish off superbly. A great way to finish off an excellent tour in Nottingham before a chosen squad head to Scotland in early May.

Monday 9th April
(Nottingham University)

The game started in a scrappy manner with chances in the opening exchanges hard to create. ISFA goalkeeper Daniel Mamas pulled off a great save to keep the scores level. Excellent pressing led to Alex Nanni finding space in the box to open the scoring midway through the first half. ISFA looked comfortable until 30 seconds before half time when a well worked Nottingham move created a headed equaliser.  Nottingham came out sharply in the second half and managed to take the lead for the first time in the game. ISFA then relaxed into their passing style of football and, after some good work down the left from Pieter Stein, a cross fell to George Maxwell on the edge of the box with his half volley levelling the game at 2-2.  Two minutes later, Alex Nanni cleverly played through Seth Hartley, who finished clinically off his first touch to give ISFA the lead again. A lapse of concentration from ISFA saw the Nottingham side equalise a minute after going behind. There were chances for both sides towards the end but the game remained level and a draw was a fair reflection of the match overall.

Friday 30th March
(St. George's Park)

The ISFA U17 representative team had an impressive and assured performance against the students of Lancaster University.

The game started very evenly. Both sides had early chances, but good work from the goal keepers at both ends kept the score at 0-0. Half way through the first half ISFA took the lead when Ada Okorogheye got in front of the defender to convert an excellent cross from the right supplied by Alex Taylor. The goal inspired the U17 players and in the next 20 minutes they scored three more. Alex Taylor getting the second following a goal mouth scramble, the third goal was an own goal after good work and cross by Matt Bowman. Ada Okorogheye showed excellent individual skill to lift the ball over the advancing goal keeper and calmly tuck the ball away following an excellent long diagonal pass from Ben Leeson.

Lancaster University came out more resolute after the break but still lacked an attacking threat. ISFA U17 added two more goals in the second half. The first from Lewis McGillicuddy finishing off an excellent move involving a number of players, the assist coming from Seth Hartley. Seth was to score the final goal of the game following an excellent pass from Josh Bowes.

Saturday 10th February
(Sheffield United Academy)

ISFA started the game brightly and played some outstanding football at times. The overlapping runs of Matt Bowman and Zach Wood caused problems for Sheffield United but the game remained goalless for the opening quarter. A fine individual goal from Kyrique Garvey opened the scoring as he took on his full back and curled the ball into the bottom corner. ISFA continued to attack in numbers which led to them being exposed to the counter attack but the defensive pairing of Tommy Redhead and Ben Leeson stood firm and composed throughout. An excellent team goal put ISFA 2-0 up right on half time with Ben Le Rougetel and George Maxwell linking up with Alex Nanni who found Pieter Stein to finish off superbly. ISFA struggled to get going in the second half as Sheffield pressed high and went a little more direct in their approach. A fine individual goal from the Sheffield number 11 gave them late hope but ISFA held on for an excellent 2-1 victory.

Sunday 14th January 2018
(Durham University)

Durham started the brighter with a possession based approach but never really troubled the ISFA back four of Matthew Bowman, Tommy Redhead, Omar Belazegue and Diego Richardson. ISFA grew into the game and were starting to take more control in midfield and Alex Taylor was beginning to stretch the excellent Durham CB pairing. However, there were very few chances for either side and the score was 0-0 at half time. In the second half Durham came out very strongly pressing high and being more direct in their approach. A couple of injuries didn’t help the cause and a well taken goal from the big Durham number 9 opened the scoring. The lead was doubled from the penalty spot but ISFA quickly created two openings of their own. First, Seth Hartley found himself clean through only to be thwarted by an outstanding save from the Durham GK and then Cameron Smith was unlucky not to half the deficit. However, in the last 10 minutes ISFA tired and were hit by two quick counter attacks eventually losing the game 4-0. The scoreline certainly didn’t reflect the performance but they can be pleased of their efforts against one of the top University sides in the country.



Read 787 times