It was the usual tense opening as both Forest and Oakham tested and probed each other’s defences trying to make the breakthrough. Both teams displayed clear quality and it took a well-worked goal to open the scoring through Oakham’s captain, Mathiesen. There were further goals before half time for both Lorán Bosser and two for Sentence, including the goal of the day – a 30 yard curler, after cutting in from the left. Forest were unlucky not to pull one back when a snap shot was brilliantly tipped onto the bar by Wardrop. Forest were finally rewarded for their strong approach play in the second half with a well worked goal from close range but the Oakham girls continued to pass the ball well and managed to match their first half tally with the game ending 8-1, with both Mathiesen and Sentence scoring hat tricks for the second game running.

Both Repton and Uppingham enjoyed periods of possession in the first half, Uppingham starting strong and Repton gradually growing into the game. There were chances at both ends but, thanks to some resolute defending, it stayed goalless into the break. Repton grabbed two earlier goals in the second period through a Holly Cook header and a break-away goal from Lily Walker. They then continued to apply pressure in search of a third but Uppingham kept things tight and had chances of their own as Repton committed players forward. The scoring was completed late on when a Walker cross was turned in by a Uppingham boot.

Welbeck started the game in fine form, putting Repton under pressure and capitalising on any errors made in the defensive line. This proved a successful tactic as Claire Weetman scored two unanswered goals before the break. In the second half Repton gradually applied the pressure and pulled a goal back through Bea Bridge. Welbeck continued to defend resolutely and it looked as though they would hang on for the win until some smart work from Ellie Barlow on the right flank saw the ball deflecting in off a defensive boot.

Both, Oakham and Wycombe Abbey started strongly, testing each other’s defences early on. Gradually, Oakham got on top and made the break through with Lorán Bosser scoring from close range after some intense pressure. Mathiesen started to find space and managed to add two more before the break. The introduction of Sentance and Styles to the forward line in the second half increased Oakham’s attacking options and they were soon rewarded with four excellent goals from Sentance and a third for Mathiesen. Wycombe Abbey continued to contest every ball until the final whistle and were unfortunate not to score themselves.


St Clare’s scored four unanswered goals in the first half which made this a very difficult fixture for UCS.  Bretthauer (2), Gaber (1) and Laurent (1).  Forsyth, from UCS, did score a fine individual goal in the second half.  However Laurent secured her hat trick and the match ball by the end of play.

UCS started the game positively, breaking away with two goal-scoring opportunities inside the first 10 minutes, though not able to execute the chances and both shots just going wide. Headington hit back immediately, and with their pace up front, they were able to break away and take the lead. Two further goals led them into a 3-0 lead at half-time. UCS had no available substitutes, and went down to ten players, due to an injury. Headington's excellent attack further stretched their lead, with two further goals, whilst UCS ended the game with 9 players due to a second injury.

St Clare’s took the early lead against Headington after a penalty scored by Bretthauer. Headington finished the half stronger with two goals from their fast centre forward. The hosts went 3-1 up after the break. The determination of the St Clare’s girls was admirable and Laurent’s score made the final 10 minutes pulsating. The equaliser by Frigerio, scored in the injury time, period ensured a memorable draw for St Clare’s.

A seven goal thriller in Oxford with both teams playing open and at times hectic football. The lead was shared back and forth with a draw being the likely result. However the Oxford High pressure in the last five minutes paid dividends with a winning goal from a corner. Wallace, Laurent and Boas scored for the Visitors, St Clare's.

Two evenly matched teams played another seven goal game in Oxford. St Clare’s started the brighter and eventually were rewarded with the opening goal with a long range strike from Laurent. The response from Notting Hill & Ealing (NHES) was immediate and they followed this with two more goals before the break.  Gaber did score one for the hosts, to make the half time score 3-2.  NHEHS extended their lead in the second half.  This was followed by a period of sustained St Clare’s attacking, resulting in a star performance from the NHHS Goal Keeper, who made a number of fine saves.  Gaber scored her second of the afternoon, but NHEHS held on to a 4-3 win.


Alleyns V St James was an impressive, technical game between two strong sides. St James dominated the first 10 minutes with several attempts made to break the Alleyns’ defence. However, it was Alleyns who opened the scoring with 2 goals in quick succession from Elisabeth Hendrickx, both from long range. St James continued to fight on, but by half time it was 3-0 with Alleyn’s playing some fantastic football. This continued on after the break, with Alleyns continuing to push forward adding a further 2 goals to the score line, despite the solid work from the St James keeper. Overall, a very entertaining game.

Sevenoaks and Ardingly defied the bad weather during a hard-fought contest which could have gone either way. Ardingly’s early pressure was not converted into goals, partly through bad luck and partly through the efforts of the Sevenoaks’ goalkeeper, Cerys Jenkins, who pulled off some great saves.  As the first half drew to a close, Sevenoaks gained in confidence and the goal that looked increasingly likely was scored close to half time by captain Lovisa Lindquist, who showed exemplary desire and commitment throughout the match.  Renee Ojikutu, the most skilful player on the pitch, added another early in the second half after a mazy run. Ardingly fought back, with several of their players showing impressive fitness and determination.  Finally, Ardingly scored, but Sevenoaks, who were obliged to play with no substitutes, rallied. There were chances at both ends in the closing minutes in a tough match which did great credit to both teams, but Sevenoaks’ best players, Imme Van der Plas, Lovisa Lindquist and Renee Ojikutu, dug deep and took the pressure off their team-mates with a number of solo runs. Full time: Sevenoaks 2 Ardingly 1.   

A repeat of the 2017/18 cup final, Alleyn’s vs Bedes was a high-quality game between two strong sides. Bedes started strongly testing the Alleyn’s defence with some dangerous balls over the top. However, Alleyn’s were the first team to make the breakthrough when Captain Honor Tennant finished a one on one with the keeper. Alleyn’s added another and then scored on the stroke of half term through Ella Bauwens. A score which flattered the hosts at half time. After the break Bedes fought back strongly and pulled a go back through a penalty after a clumsy challenge in the box. As the game went on and Bedes pushed forward, Alleyn’s managed to add further goals on the counter attack - adding some gloss to the score line.

Ardingly v Bede's
Ardingly v St James
St James v Sevenoaks


ACS Cobham started strong and created early chances that were either squandered or repulsed by some resolute defending. Charterhouse nearly scored first but a shot from the edge of the box sailed wide of the post. Midway through the first half Cobham opened the scoring when Ines Sargren drove an unstoppable drive in from 30 yards. Sargren made it 2-0 three minutes later, angling a shot in from a short corner. Then a wonderful move sent left winger Katie Duerr away and from her pull back Sargren crashed the ball in first time to complete her hat trick. Charterhouse fought all the way but Cobham were just too strong and with fifteen minutes left Sargren made it 4-0 just before being replaced. Madelief Peters added two more goals from close in as the hard pressed Charterhouse defence tired.

Kings College Taunton dominated the early exchanges and put ACS Cobham under a lot of pressure. From a quick breakaway Marlow gave Kings the lead with an excellent finish into the far corner. It took Cobham around 25 minutes to really come to grips with Kings as they then got the ball down and started to spread it wide. As half time approached Cobham scored twice to take the lead.  Madelief Peters tapped home after Elena Pearce spilled the ball, then Haya Kamal after a lovely jink, finished coolly from the edge of the box. Just after the half time, Jasmijn Uludag hassled the King's keeper out of a tight back pass and scored the important third goal. The match was then very even with the excellent Pearce being the busier of the two keepers. The game was then all but put to bed by Cobham as Peters broke through to fire home for 4-1. However, Kings responded almost immediately as Victoria Neufiend reduced the deficit with a looping cross shot over the Cobham keeper's head. This was short lived as the impressive Ines Sargren burst past two defenders and tucked the ball away to seal victory for Cobham with a 5-2 win. 

In dank conditions after a lot of morning rain ACS Cobham ran out as comfortable winners in the opening match in group D.  The first goal came from a short corner on the right when Ines Sargren fired an unstoppable left foot strike into the far top corner. Millfield, spurred on by the talented Millie Quaintance, tried to respond but the Cobham defence was too resolute.  Cobham soon doubled their lead when the Millfield keeper failed to hold Katie Duerr's left wing shot.  Sargren made it three before the break as she tore through the Millfield defence and shot low into the corner. Cobham set about managing their lead in the second half but still created several chances.  Millfield came close to scoring when the Cobham keeper didn't set herself properly and pushed the ball back out only to see the follow up shot hitting the side netting. Then Cobham finished the match strongly as Julieta Donadini hammered in the fourth from the edge of the box and Anna Nelson added the fifth as she ran in and cushioned the ball home after the Millfield keeper had failed to hold a left wing cross.

King's College Taunton v Bradfield 
King's College Taunton v Charterhouse
King's College Taunton v Millfield 
Millfield v Bradfield 


ISFA have confirmed details for the 2018/19 season girls U18 & U15 national tournaments, including a brand new U15 girls national cup and changes to the existing U18 girls national cup. In 2018/19 ISFA will run a 11v11 national cup and a 7v7 national tournament for both U18s (Y11-13) and U15s (Y9-10) as part of its commitment to growing independent schools girls football.

In addition to the new U15 girls cup being launched, there is also a huge change to the format of the U18 girls cup for the 2018/19 season, with a ‘champions league’ style format replacing the existing knockout cup format.

Below are a summary of the changes to the U18 national cup for the 2018/19 season, and the reasons behind these changes. Anyone with any queries should contact ISFA National Football Development Manager Ian Bent via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Changes to the Girls U18 National Cup:

- Knockout cup format replaced with a ‘Champions League’ style format with a round robin group stage taking place between 1st October 2018 and 15th February 2019, leading to semi-finals and final for the respective group winners.

- Schools allocated a group based on geographical location.

- During the group stages schools play each other once (home and away fixtures will be determined by ISFA and will alternate year by year). Fixtures will be released by ISFA with schools responsible for agreeing a date for that fixture and notifying ISFA.

- Please note the new Girls U15 National Cup will follow the same format as this (number of entries permitting).

Reasons for the changes:

- As part of ISFAs commitment to growing and developing girls football the ISFA looked at ways of improving the current girls cup to provide more matches and encourage more schools to enter.

- Recent seasons have seen a number of schools enter the competition but not fulfil matches, resulting in some schools only playing a couple of games prior to reaching the final.

- By introducing a group stage opening round ISFA will provide a minimum number of matches for all participating schools, regardless of results, and provide schools with multiple matches against a variety of strength of opposition.

- By introducing regional group stages we are hopeful that this will see stronger links and relationships develop between schools playing girls football in local areas.

- A key strength of independent schools boys football is the tradition of the block fixtures, and we hope in time that this format could support the development of girls football block fixtures.


Bede’s won the 2018 Smith Construction ISFA U18 Girls Cup when they defeated Alleyn’s 6-3 in an action packed Final. With several ISFA players, Bede’s perhaps started as favourites but Alleyn’s had sprung a major surprise in the semi-finals, knocking out the reigning champions and they looked set to create another shock when they opened the scoring when Honor Tennant fired home early in the game and then goalkeeper Eleanor Franklinwood saved a penalty. However, Bede’s gradually built up pressure and equalised when Leilanni Nesbeth raced onto a through ball and finished coolly before half-time.

Bede’s took the lead in the second half when Leila Emmerson slotted home from the penalty spot and then Nesbeth added two. For a moment it seemed the game was safe but Alleyn’s kept battling away and a left foot strike from Hendrickx kept them in the picture. However, Alleyn’s were now tiring and another goal each from Emmerson and Nesbeth finally clinched the victory. A late consolation goal by Elisabeth Hendrickx meant the final score of 6-3 better reflected the balance of the match but Bede’s were thoroughly deserving of their victory in front of a sizeable crowd at Bisham Abbey National Sports Centre.

All photographs of the Final are courtesy of RWT Photography. These and other photographs of the match along with the match DVD, can be ordered from or by ringing 01733 204445.





Read 15650 times
Tagged under